Sponsored links

Search in my blog

Custom Search

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Ceratostylis rubra (or retisquama), new leaf and keiki.






This little wonderful orchid comes from the international exhibition of orchids in Esslingen I visited last September. It was my first purchase from Orchideen Lucke together with a young phalaenopsis lueddemanniana.
What caught my attention was the flower color, it´s orange with golden reflexes, glittering!
I read some information on the net about Ceratostylis rubra and I also asked the seller to be sure. Temperature and humidity in my mini orchidarium seem to be good for this plant, so here it is!

Ceratostylis rubra, orchid species,
potted in sphagnum moss, in the mini orchid tank

(picture of 5 April 2013)



   
Ceratostylis rubra, orchid species,
detail of new sprout and bud 
(picture of 27 November 2012)
   
Ceratostylis rubra, orchid species,
detail of new sprout and bud 
(picture of 27 November 2012)

This orchid does not like to stay with too dry roots, so I try to water it as soon as the sphagnum in the pot becomes hard, a sign that the humidity inside is low. I usually use a sprayer filled with water by Reverse Osmosis and only every 10-15 days I add a mild dose of fertilizer (about one-tenth of the dose recommended on the label).


Ceratostylis rubra, orchid speciesdetail of new sprout
(picture of 27 November 2012)

Along with the new leaf is also growing a bud for the next flowering, do not know yet if it will flower or not, but I hope so! Meanwhile, the growth did not stop and another leaf and a new bud are starting to come out.
The basal keiki is in a good health and is growing rather quickly but has not reached the flowering size yet, it hasn´t  the typical coverage "retisquama" and has not yet developed buds.
This orchid is giving me a lot of satisfaction, I hope to post soon some pictures of flowers !!!

Ceratostylis rubra, orchid species,
potted in sphagnum moss, in the mini orchid tank

(picture of 7 May 2013)




No comments:

Post a Comment